Monday, July 7, 2008

Leaving for Chambala

Well...here I am still at the CRISPAZ office, the rain has been too heavy in Chambala to drive up to our homestay so we are waiting it out here. (The cause of all the rain was the Tropical Storm system that hit Honduras.) There normally would not be many problems but we need to get close to the house to unload our cots and packs. We leave today for Chambala!
I would have written earlier but we have been busy going to more sites (some the same, some different) and being SICK!! Ugh...it was mainly just annoying but we both had stomach problems on Friday and Saturday. We aren´t sure what it was from as we both ate the same things for basically every meal for two days straight.
Being sick here is definitely hard, harder than I imagined it would be. There were moments when I wished I hadn´t come and and just wanted my room and my things around me. I am sure those moments will not end throughout the summer but at least I know what to expect now.
Evan´s mom asked "What are the things you miss the most?"
Evan said, "I miss being able to choose from a variety of food."
I said, "I miss BB, my things, and my privacy!"
The whole chicken, rice, and beans thing gets old real fast when you´ve had it for almost every meal!! On the privacy note, it has been hard adjusting to not really having my own time and my own space (Evan does not count as I am already used to sharing my space with him). We have pretty much a good portion of our week and meals scheduled for us around when the group is doing things. I think most of you who are reading this know what an independant person I am (and if you don´t know Evan is the same) so having this fairly structured lifestyle doesn´t sit well with us and brings out our rebellious spirit! We were largely left alone while we were sick but it wasn´t like we could do much.
I have finished my second book of the summer, " The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway yesterday and I have now started on "Water for Elephants", I also have grand plans to read "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. In CRISPAZ´s "library", I have found the first two books but I suspect I just haven´t come across the other two. (the library is a bunch of books left here and we can "check-out" books by leaving our name and the book title on a sheet) They actually have a lot of books here.
I am very excited to get out of the city! In know I will miss some of the luxeries here but I can tell you two things I will not miss...
1. The NOISE!!!
I often feel like screaming so I can drown out the noise of all the cars tearing down our street ALL DAY every day! Evan actually had a dream that he was in a war and we were being bombed and that there were lines of tanks roaring down the street! No doubt because that is what the trucks sound like.
2. The SMOG!!
It smells...it coats your mouth..and now we can even see it!
It makes me sick to my stomach when I have to ride in a car or bus as it blows into your face and is quite disgusting and since it has been raining for awhile, the clouds make it worse! Yuck!

Anyways, to say the least I am happy to be going to el campo for a change of scenery. We have been here for almost a month now!! Hard to believe sometimes, it feels like it has gone by pretty quickly already.

No comments: