Sunday, July 20, 2008

Two weeks left!

It is almost time for us to start saying our good-byes to all the wonderful people we have met this summer. On Monday we will return to Chambala for the final time. This next week in Chambala will be full of playing with the kids, learning how to make a tortilla *finally*, spending time with our host-brothers working in the field, a day hiking trip with Don Miguel up to a high peak in Chambala, and lots of talking and picture taking. It is sad to think of leaving them but at the same time I am extremely happy to be going home to visit my own family. I feel I have learned a ton this summer and I don't think I will ever look at the world the same again and I am grateful for that. I feel I have grown as an individual but I also feel that Evan and I have grown as a couple. This experience has been hard for us in some ways but I believe that throughout our long talks on the porch of our little "house" that we have learned more about each other and grown also grown together. I am incredibly lucky to have spent three months of my six month marriage living and working so closely with my husband.

After this next week, we are being picked up from Chambala on Tuesday and the other girls will be picked up the following day. Then on July 31st there will be a con vivio, which is a meeting of at least one family member from each homestay and all of us. Then we will talk and have a reflection on what we have done and learned in the past two months. After that ends we,(Ramon, Kristi, Emily, Bethany, and Evan & I) will be headed to the beach for two nights. It is El Playa Zonte and everyone is looking forward to a few days at the beach before heading home. It will be Evan's first time seeing the Pacific and only my second time so we are both very excited! We have also already made plans for our first meal back in the states. We will have time for dinner at Houston Airport so we have decided to get some Harlon's BBQ as the first meal! Yumm! The following night we are going out for a welcome back dinner at Bern's (we are also looking forward to that). It is also in celebration of Carol's birthday, which is a week later. While in Tampa we are hoping to see both of our Grandmothers and a few friends as well. It will be a very good week being surrounded by family and friends. We miss you all! Lots of love...

No comments: